Thursday, September 04, 2008

conversation with books 2009

The date and list of books for the 2009 Conversation with Books has been announced! And, it’s a good list, at that. Each year, I vow to read at least one book by the time of discussion, at the end of January. This year, I’m well on my way. I have already read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and I own Unaccustomed Earth, so will likely dive into that sooner rather than later. A few more titles will be added closer to the event, so stay tuned.

Herewith, the selection:

~ Creating Minnesota: A History from the Inside Out, by Annette AtkinsThough I call Minnesota home, I did not grow up here and so missed sixth-grade state history. This book could help me make up for lost time.

~ The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Anne Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer
This book is hot, hot, hot off the press, but I'm not at all surprised to see it as it's very much the type of book toward which the panelists gravitate.

~ Life Class: A Novel, by Pat Barker
A "Writer Familiar to Our Conversation," meaning the panelists have read many, if not all, of the author's books. This could be the year I finally read Pat Barker.

~ Loving Frank, by Nancy Horan
Although I find it hard to explain why, I am somewhat mistrustful of this book—though it has been wildly popular. A definite maybe.

~ The Plague of Doves, by Louise Erdrich
Another “Writer Familiar to Our Conversation,” not to mention that Erdrich is a local literary darling. Plague of Doves has been on my TBR list since it was announced, and I most certainly will be reading it. And, when I looked up this title at Powell's, Unaccustomed Earth was offered as a comparison title.

~ Unaccustomed Earth, by Jhumpa Lahiri
I bought a copy on the day the book was born but have been saving it for the perfect moment...

~ Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History, by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Not a typical selection for the Conversation. I'm really looking forward to hearing what the panelist have to say. Also, I suspect that Ulrich is an alumna.

No comments: