Wednesday, November 19, 2008

National Book Award winners announced

Just a few moments ago, Peter Matthiessen's Shadow Country was awarded the National Book Award for fiction. Typically, I would have learned this information tomorrow morning but in our present, brilliant technological age, this news was transmitted via Twitter, appearing instantaneously on the National Book Award's website.

Other winners include Annette Gordon-Reed's The Hemingses of Monticello in the Nonfiction category, Judy Blundell's What I Saw and How I Lied for Young People's Literature, and Mark Doty's Fire to Fire for Poetry.

Matthiessen's Everglades trilogy has been on my TBR list since Killing Mr. Watson was published in the 1991, and I harbor a fantasy of reading each volume separately, then tackling the one volume Shadow Country. Oh, a girl can dream, can't she?

No comments: