Thursday, June 03, 2010

retail therapy

Feeling a little at loose ends without pressing deadlines, and having starved myself of frivolous book purchases these past five months, I tore myself from launderess duties and headed for St. Anthony Village, that charming St. Paul neighborhood. I had a short list of a titles that I’ve read about recently and have become obsessed with. There's no more perfect a place to shop than a local independent bookstore. Thank goddess we still have two in St. Paul.
Owners Tom and Hans—who are friends from my book rep days when I called on them at Hungry Mind/Ruminator—resurrected dusty Micawber’s, in 2003. In almost no time at all, the two bookselling pros cleared out all the old books (I swear Norton, the previous owner and a friend, never pulled a return) and loaded shelves and display tables with the latest handpicked titles.
Micawber’s, consequently, is one of my favorite bookstores to browse. Inevitably, in the course of a visit, I pick up far too many books to purchase. On this visit, even though I didn’t find the books I was looking for, I also didn’t walk out of the store empty-handed. I picked up a remaindered hardcover copy of The Boat, Nam Le’s critically acclaimed debut story collection. While I was browsing, Hans kindly loaded my arms with a few advanced reading copies of spring titles. He suggested leaving them behind on my travels. Planting the seeds, as it were.
Of these books, I’m most excited about Monique Truong’s Bitter in the Mouth, which is her follow up to The Book of Salt. And, I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised by Michelle Hoover’s first novel The Quickening, which is published by small Other Press and got a strong Margot Livesey cover quote. But Deirdre Madden’s Molly Fox’s Birthday, a finalist for the Orange Prize, is also promising. It’s a Picador paperback original, and I happen to know a thing or two about these, having worked for Picador as it was started up.
Overall, a wonderful visit for the books in hand as well as those added to my TBR list. Plus, it was really good to share some chit-chat with Hans and Karen, with whom I worked at Odegard’s, twenty years ago…gadzooks.
I love what this store is doing and hope that it will be around for a long time. Please support Micawber’s!

21 comments:

MickiRueda said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債..................................................

健豪 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention................................................................

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

謝謝您囉~~很好的經驗分享!........................................

恭嘉恭嘉 said...

很喜歡你的部落格風格,期待你的更新!........................................

曾文詠 said...

Judge not a book by its cover.............................................................

趙佳治 said...

If you can, you can. ............................................................

張孟勳 said...

友情像一棵樹木,要慢慢的栽培,才能成長真的友誼,要經過困難考驗,才可友誼永固 ..................................................

adkinsra said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。..................................................................

志城志城 said...

人間好話,要如海綿遇水牢牢吸住..................................................................

翊芷 said...

看看blog放鬆一下,工作累死了................................................................

曉薇 said...

You are flattering me..................................................

曉薇 said...

要持續更新下去喲!!祝你心情愉快.............................................................

asda said...

very popular to u!......................................................................

許紀廷 said...

Pay somebody back in his own coin.....................................................................

jackveronic said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德....................................................................

偉倫 said...

喜歡你的部落格,留言請您繼續加油.................................................................

志穎志穎 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。.................................................................

佳順佳順 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

LeatriceNay婉勇 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

玉婷良DGFHFJ瑋黃吳 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................