Wednesday, May 18, 2011

kids reading


Simon recently finished D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. Yay! After seeing Thor, he expressed an interest in Norse myths and is now reading D'Aulaires' Norse Gods and Giants. Also, from time to time, he dips into The Hobbit. And, as always, he feeds his comic book obsession, currently with Mouse Guard. Simon is writing a fan letter and including his own mouse guard drawing to the author, David Petersen.

Winston has been avoiding reading. He has re-read the Wimpy Kid books because nothing that anyone (me) suggests to him seems to be what he's looking for. I know that feeling all too well...so many books, none grabbing your attention. On Monday, he picked up Weird Club: The Search for the New Jersey Devil and devoured it in three days. One evening, when asked to come to the dinner table, he said, "Mom, I'd really rather just read." I almost let him. Now he wants anything related to the unexplained. I'm going to pick up Scary States of America and Kid vs. Squid from the library, and I need to do some more research to find comparable books for him.

No comments: