Monday, April 27, 2009

UPDATE: 41 for 41

Six months into my personal reading year, I thought I would offer an update. True confession: the first month or so tends to start strong because I include books that are on my radar or that I will be reading soon for book group or Conversation. It’s easy to knock those off. Then, I tend to stall out. But, I think I’m doing okay this year. Assuming, of course, that I would actually manage to read all the books on my 41 for 41 list, I still have a long way to go.

To date, I have finished Unaccustomed Earth, Lulu in Marrakech, Friends Lovers Chocolate, something by Neil Gaiman (The Graveyard Book), Ghostwalk, Little House on the Prairie, and Loving Frank. That’s seven of forty-one. Wow. Felt like more. That’s okay, as I’m way ahead of 40 for 40, which ended with six total books read. Plus, I’m measuring success by quality rather than ratio.

Heading into the third quarter of my reading year, which runs October ’08 through October ’09, I am reading Animal Vegetable Miracle (not Mineral, which, apparently, I’ve been writing all over the internets, much to my horror), as well as The Other Side of the Island. Also, I am carrying a copy of John Buchan’s The Thirty-Nine Steps in my purse—almost as good as reading it.

New strategies
I thought I would jettison a few from the list, namely those that I intended to read for Conversation with Books. Then I was able to procure from the library, an unabridged audio version of Loving Frank. Listening to this book while running errands or commuting was easy and enjoyable. I’m going to try to do more audio “reading,” which should enable me to get to more titles on the list.

No comments: